I look white and plan on dressing up as a sugar skull gypsy. and I dont care what anyone has to say about it, or what they think they know is wrong. I am half romani and italian. suck it.
i’ve decided i’m no longer publishing comments like this one that i receive on any of my halloween blog posts. this month i’ve taken to responding to them in private emails. surprise surprise, 75% of the time, the email address they’ve used is fake and bounces back, and the other 25% of the time they don’t respond.
this isn’t the comment that broke the camel’s back or anything, it’s just that there are so many variations of the exact same criticism. unlike a lot of bloggers, i really don’t think the number of comments reflects the quality or content of the blog. i’ve had some fantastic conversations (even in that very same post’s comments!)
i think that’s the aspect i find the most frustrating about blogging about critical things. that you put it out there because people are curious, and you have a bit of knowledge about a topic and share your thoughts. and in this case, i’m like, i’m not even saying anything fucking radical! i’m strongly recommending you consider wearing SOMETHING OTHER than race drag for halloween for your own benefit and the benefit of the people who will have to see your shitty ass costume. at this point i’ve written it in probably a dozen different ways over the course of like SIX YEARS and every single fucking time is till get the same assinine comments.
i can’t help but wonder, why? if i leave comments on a blog post i strongly disagree with, i always try to be clear and direct, but all the time lately i keep getting spammed with “ur a stupid bitch” and “suck it.” and i’m like, do they not realize i’m human? that the person reading these things might be sick of reading that? that reading twenty five of these in a row makes me feel nauseous? that i don’t get paid for this work, and that i’m not here to be your gatekeeper or teacher and punching bag all at the same time? like, why even waste your time leaving comments like this? what good could possible come from telling me to “suck it” because you disagree with me? i know the answer is no, these people probably aren’t thinking about these things… but it’s still really shitty.
for the most part i have to say i don’t give a fuck, because if i did it would be intensely emotionally draining. you’d think i was new at this whole “writing on the internet” thing but fuck! i’ve been doing it for over ten years and lately i just feel so shitty about the whole situation.