determinisme asked: who will you vote for in the Quebec provincial election, if that isn't too personal of a question? or, which of the parties' politics do you agree with the most?
i’m glad someone asked me this. i don’t feel like it’s “too personal” of a question but i’m not super comfortable about it namely because i still haven’t decided who i’m voting for, and also because i’m not really a democrat. i do not believe democracy works in the way it purports to, not in canada, not in the united states, not anywhere i’ve seen and followed closely. but! i’m still getting informed and voting.
i’m in the riding of taschereau, which is traditionally Parti Québécois territory, and looks like it will be again this time around. the one thing this whole election campaign has firmly cemented for me is how xenophobic, reductive and alienating the PQ has evolved in the last decade or so and if anything my criticisms of the PLQ have waned, taken over by how explicitly hateful so many of the PQ’s proposed policies are.
i’ve never been a card carrying member of any party, federally or provincially, but voting in my first quebec elections is incredible intimidating, confusing and frustrating. i respect people’s choice to spoil their ballots, and the challenges to the way the “first past the post” model works. but personally, i’m choosing to vote.
so instead of talking about who i’m debating for (not very surprising that i’m leaning Québec Solidaire or Option Nationale…) i’ll take this opportunity, less than 24 hours before elections begin, to share some resources for any quebecois readers i have here. if it has a little asterix, it means it’s in french.
best articles i’ve read on the quebec elections this month:
- When a spade is truly a spade: The PQ’s xenophobia in a throwaway election for progressive federalists (August 31st, 2012)
- On racism: a letter to Quebec’s progressive left (August 30th, 2012)
- An anglophone-living-in-Québec’s perspective on the current situation and upcoming election (August 30th, 2012)
- Les blues des anglos (August 27th, 2012)*
- Elections Quebec: Comparateur de programmes (via Le Devoir)*
- Le poids d’une voix: 30 électeurs (Le Devoir and NFB collab)*
- CBC.ca’s Quebec Votes page
- Quebec political platform navigator
- My Quebec Is… photos
- Vote Au Pluriel - great project!
- Quebec debate face-off - watch horrible translation as of 1:35
- Urbania’s coverage* is pretty silly but sometimes actually pretty on the nose. Check out their interview with Manon Massé
aaaaaaand all i have to say about “strategic voting” is: