i had a rough december, to put it lightly. a rough end to a rough rollercoaster of a year. so i decided randomly one day that i deserved some things that make me feel good, happy and all around badass. over the course of one week all of these things arrived in my mailbox:
- nanoka, by katie west and jake scoresby
- femme à barbe 1 et 2, by the always awesome j. bee
- a vulgar and awesome card by fidèle castrée
- two editions of telegram ma’am, plus one split zine
- the latest issue of WORN, which i will be reviewing for my blog sometime soon
- a copy of ghost world borrowed from a friend
- two beautiful cards, the snowflake from anaïs and the books one from the aforementioned j. bee
giving presents to myself was so good. and i’ve never done it in this way before; i usually go thrifting but now i work all the time and they are never open when i have free time. but i’ve decided ordering things online, supporting independent artists, writers, zinesters, photographers, etc. is a million times better than buying another $5 dress i don’t particularly need. finding a mailbox full of things, not to mention the anticipation, does not compare to the stress of shopping/my own frustrations with capitalism. i think this year will be the year of the zine, and of supporting awesome people with the little money i would have normally spent on buying used.
the night i soaked up in a big hot bath with tea and an issue of telegram ma’am? perfection. best self-care activity in a long time.